Thursday 31 July 2008

Get flowers (Tutorial)




To make flowers like these you will need:
5 different sized circular templates that you can draw around.
black cardstock
white cardstock
cream cardstock
distress inks (various colours)
blending blocks and blending tool/cut and dry fom
stamps
stazon or other waterproof ink
embossing ink
embossing powder
heat proof sheet
heat tool
water in a spritzer
kitchen paper

I created backgrounds using distress inks working on white/cream cardstock. I used weathered wood, spiced marmalade and worn lipstick. The colours were smudged onto the heat proof sheet individually, then spritzed with water. I worked on several A6 sized sheets of card during this stage as the pigments are very strong so go a long way. After applying each colour I wiped the heat proof sheet with kitchen paper. I did this to avoid muddy colours.

I chose parts of the background that I liked and using the circular templates I cut out the shapes. N.B. save the second to last sized circle for your petals. When cutting out work on the inside of the line and do not try to achieve perfect circles. To me, the charm of theses flowers is in their random nature.

Using black waterproof ink stamp images onto three of the shapes. Heat set. Use the blending blocks and blending tool or cut and dry foam to highlight the edges of your circles.

Working on black card, stamp a bold design/image onto the surface of the cardstock. Use clear embossing ink and clear embossing powder. Heat the embossing powder until it melts. When this is cool, use another template to cut a medium sized shape. Layer all of your circles thus far until, you get the effect that you desire. Stick. You might wish to use 3D foam to lift one layer. I did this under the black layer only. This is your flower center.

Using the smallest shape, cut a number of circles from black cardstock. Arrange them under your flower center. This will form a ring shape. When you are happy carefully lift your flower center and on the reverse of your flower center apply wet glue to the edge of your flower center. Position your glue line so that it will touch each petal. Re-place your flower center. The head of you flower is complete.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to write this tutorial. I really want to try some of these!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You let me know I'm not on my own.